In the interests of transparency and free public access, all Institute publications are available and digitally archived on this page. This ensures easy access not only for policy makers and experts, but for instructors, students, and any members of the general public interested in examining Institute publications and findings. The institute encourages the use of these materials – particularly case studies and status reports – in classrooms and public forums with the hope that they inform and catalyze meaningful discussions about regional developments, past and present.
To request a presentation to your class or group in relation to any of these publications, please contact the Institute of Politics at 412-624-1837.
Policy and Research Reports
Policy and research reports focus on the current status of one issue, including federal studies, state perspectives, and regional data and research. Past policy and research reports have addressed–among other issues–shale gas energy practices and the role of green infrastructure in Southwestern Pennsylvania.
In a recent years, the Institute released several reports looking at critical issues facing the region, including:
- Learning from Crisis: Policies and practices that support flexibility in providing equitable learning opportunities for all students
- Preparing for Tomorrow: Fostering Muncipal Resiliency in the Wake of the Pandemic
- Prepared for the Future - Workforce Development Policy Committee report
- Lead Safe Demolition Working Group Report
- Criminal Justice Progress Panel 2019 Report
- Criminal Justice Progress Panel 2018 Report
- Criminal Justice in the 21st Century: Improving Incarceration Policies and Practices in Allegheny County
- A Continuum of Care Approach: Western Pennsylvania's Response to the Opioid Epidemic
- Urban Agriculture: A Guide for Municipalities
- Moving Beyond 20th Century Education: Emerging Trends in CTE and Project-based Learning
Institute case studies capitalize on the rich resources of local archival collections to provide an in-depth historical analysis of federal, state, and local public policies, relating them to contemporary policy issues. Case studies are intended to be accessible for a public reading audience and suitable for classroom use at the upper-secondary level and beyond.
Past case studies have focused on the political work of Elsie Hillman, Morton Coleman, and H. John Heinz III. Topical case studies have addressed issues including the Three Mile Island nuclear accident, the development of “Project 88” and its impact on clean air policy, and the logistical challenges of integrating human services across counties in western Pennsylvania.
The Institute’s annual report offers a comprehensive review of the activities of the Institute, with full coverage of seminars and briefings as well as a director’s note and committee cochair report.
The Institute Impact Report provides a brief summary of Insitute activities each year.
IOP @ 30
In celebration of its 30th anniversary, the Institute released a retrospective report offering highlights of contributions to the region's policymaking over the last three decades. You can view the report here, or request a hard copy by calling 412-624-1837.